An opportunity has arisen for an experienced design engineer to join a small high performing design team in a long established, positive & growing manufacturing environment. Expansion into new market places and continuing investment in the factory requires expanded design resource to support these activities. You will be a product design expert who will establish appropriate delivery standards for the design office ie drawing standards, release requirements, tolerance standards. You will support the Design & Applications Engineering Manager to maintain the PDM database, BOM accuracy and all other design tools to a high standard. You will have excellent attention to detail which will define your contribution to ongoing product development in this fast moving environment. The close proximity and working relationship with manufacturing engineers and the factory is a rare opportunity to develop a detailed understanding of processes in a modern precision engineering business. This knowledge will form the basis of a sound design for manufacture philosophy.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working as part of a small team reporting to the Design & Applications Engineering Manager.
- Leading Product design, specification and design maintenance activity.
- Project management of multiple small to medium projects
- Provision of engineering support for specific applications enquiries.
- Responsible for the integrity of the PDM database, BOM records and design standards.
- Development of a design from a spec to factory drawings, BoM, quality processes, etc as necessary.
- Taking responsibility for work packages within a project, organising own task priorities and resource to achieve targets.
- SolidWorks 3D and 2D experience. Including use of design tables and Workgroup PDM.
- Knowledge of hydraulic design.
- Finite Element Analysis, awareness of mechanical systems.
- Understanding of Measurement techniques for first article inspection reports.
- Chartered engineer status.
- Apprentice trained mechanical engineer.
- Portfolio evidence of good quality design experience
- Precision design experience, especially with carbon steel tubes, forgings, castings.
- Precision manufacturing process experience eg turning, machining, welding.
- Working to tolerance standards such as BS 8888, BS EN 10243-1, etc.
- Experience of design release and management in an ERP environment based on ISO9001 standards.
- Inquisitive mind with excellent attention to detail and a desire to get it right!
- Solid modelling experience with drawing creation.
- Hands on person prepared to tackle any reasonable task in a small dept.
- Enthusiastic and energetic nature.
- Design for manufacture experience and hungry to learn more.
- Good MS Office skills especially spreadsheets to a high level.
- Project planning & management experience.
Other Skills & Experience:
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent. Preferably to MEng level
- With professional experience portfolio suitable for Chartered Engineer submission in due course
- Minimum 5 years mechanical design experience in a design role.
- Within easy commute (20 miles max from Bolton)
- Computer literate especially analytical spreadsheets
Please forward your CV and covering letter via email: email@example.com
Closing date: 31st January 2024